Wednesday, February 25, 2009

A Great Education Shall Not Go To Waste!

I worked my rear off through four years of college and three years of law school. And then I worked my rear off for five years at two different law firms: one was the most successful M&A (Mergers & Acquisitions) firm in the United States, which turned out to be the Manhattan Nightmare; the other was a mid-size friendly law firm in Houston (I just chose to work in the department that dealt with Manhattan Nightmare lawyers on a constant basis).

I worked 'round the clock in M&A, yet could barely afford my rent. In Houston, I spent most of my time flying back and forth between New York and home working on what has become the ultimate evil. It goes by many names but all of them involve the downfall of certaim major Wall Street Banks...that's right folks....Collateralized Debt (a.k.a. Structured Debt, Synthetic Securities, Securitized Debt, etc.), most of it collateralized with sub-prime mortgages. And don't let anyone fool you - we may have just been the lawyers but we saw it all coming. I don't know how many towncar conversations were spent discussing how when the housing market starts to fall, the whole thing is a house of cards that will hit the U.S. (and others) like a ton of bricks. And unfortunately, it did.

So my legal work disappeared shortly before those certain Wall Street Banks collapsed. Do I miss it? A little. Am I much happier now? Oh yes.

About eight months ago I traded in my law firm job to become exclusively a full-time mom. I phrase it that way becuase I've always been a full-time mom, I was just a full-time attorney as well. So now I spend my days with my beautiful little boy, who just turned three.

So "Quit the Firm - Hug a Child"!

Here's the rub: I spent a LOT of time in school. It was my life. I spent a LOT of time at work. It was my life. Just because I stay at home and have chosen to provide my little boy with first-hand love, affection and care, does not mean my brain has turned itself off. So, to prevent my education from slowly drifting away from me, I'm looking for work as a freelance writer.

I'm open to various subject matter, including but not limited to: parenting, children, in vitro fertilization, fertility, law, government (undergrad major), history (undergrad major), sports and fitness (I run and cycle), business, finance, and Wall Street.

Best regards,
Jennie

No comments:

Post a Comment